Can Geo Education is committed to supporting its educators by providing them with the necessary tools to help teach geography in the 21st-century classroom and to develop geo-literacy in our students.
We offer multiple professional development opportunities to educators throughout the school year. The workshops’ themes and formats are always evolving and changing. Our professional development opportunities are offered to all K-12 educators in Canada as well as administration and support staff in the education sector. To stay up to date on all existing and upcoming professional development opportunities offered to our educators, we encourage you to become a member so you can receive our monthly newsletters.
Can Geo Education occasionally hosts Summer Institute workshops at 50 Sussex, the headquarters of The Royal Canadian Geographical Society (RCGS). Over the course of three days, workshop participants have the opportunity to hear from expert guest speakers, get hands-on experience with new learning resources, engage in discussions with peers from across the country, and more! At the conclusion of each Summer Institute, participants create a learning resource, such as a lesson plan or activity, which is then published on the Can Geo Education website for other educators to use. All workshop participants receive a certificate upon completion of the Summer Institute. Summer Institutes are open to all K-12 teachers in Canada as well as administrators and support staff in the education sector.
Can Geo Education may at times offer Summer Institutes in other locations outside Ottawa, Ont. Become a member of Can Geo Education and subscribe to our newsletter to make sure you don’t miss out on the next Summer Institute!
Examples of past Summer Institutes themes
- Geo-technologies in the classroom – Integrating geospatial technology and AR/VR tools into your classroom
- Responsible energy development – Learning about Canada’s energy landscape
- Indigenous knowledge and traditional ways of knowing – Ensuring inclusivity and acknowledging Indigenous history and practices
- Fieldwork and Citizen Science
In the summer, Can Geo Education puts on a virtual summer conference that is open to all educators in Canada. This free, one-day event features engaging lectures, educational tools, and inspiring initiatives. It’s an opportunity to connect with fellow educators, learn from experts, and discover amazing, classroom-ready resources for the upcoming school year.
Each conference is based around a theme that connects to current-day issues in geography, with sessions offered on a variety of topics, such as GIS, outdoor education, French resources, Indigenous education, and more! There are also key speakers, some of whom have included cartographers, explorers, and scientists.
Previous conference themes:
- 2023 – Why geography matters: Lessons from our changing planet
- 2022 – Global citizenship: Inspiring the next generation of changemakers.
- 2019 – Geographic literacy: The power of storytelling
Throughout the year, Can Geo Education executives and staff attend conferences around the country to share and promote our latest educational resources and tools. This is the perfect opportunity for you to ask us questions directly and get your hands on some great teaching materials! Become a member to receive our newsletter and find out at which upcoming conferences we will be speaking or have a booth set up.
Here is a list of associations whose conferences we have regularly attended in the past:
- British Columbia Social Studies Teachers’ Association
- Alberta Teachers’ Association Social Studies Council
- Social Studies Saskatchewan
- Manitoba Social Studies Teachers’ Association
- Ontario Association for Geographic and Environmental Education
- Association québécoise pour l’enseignement en univers social
- Nova Scotia Social Studies Teachers Association
If you would like us to attend/present at your conference please contact: [email protected]
Can Geo Education offers both in-person and virtual workshops that can be tailored to the specific needs and interests of the each group on a case-by-case basis. We can also provide presentations and training sessions on request for groups or school boards. Contact us for pricing options and more information.
Examples of past workshops:
- Can Geo Education Introduction → This workshop provides an overview of all the fun and engaging resources we have to offer!
- Train the Trainer Session → Want to book a Giant Floor Map but aren’t sure how approach teaching on the map? This is the session for you! This workshop can also be tailored for our other resources.