THE CONTEST PERIOD
1. The Membership Drive Contest (the “Contest”) is run by The Royal Canadian Geographical Society. The contest will run online from December 3, 2021 at 12:00:01 PM (ET) until February 3 at 11:59:59 AM (ET) (the “Contest Period”).
CONTEST GROUP ENTITIES
2. For the purposes of the Contest, the Contest Group Entities are: The Royal Canadian Geographical Society; the contest website, https://cangeoeducation.ca/wp-login.php?action=register
3. The Contest is open to all new teacher members who sign up on Canadian Geographic Education’s website and all current members who have recommended a new member. Existing members may have multiple entries in the draw, with each new member that signs up. Multiple people may recommend a new member and be entered into the draw Any new or existing members who do not reside in Canada at the time of contest entry and the Grand Prize judging is not eligible to enter.
All new teacher members must be current or retired educators in a recognized elementary, secondary, CEGEP, or university.
Employees of the Contest Group Entities, their affiliates, advertising and promotional agencies, service providers, prize sponsors and the contest judges are not eligible to enter.
HOW TO ENTER
4. The Contest may be entered online only, by completing the online form as indicated on the “membership referral” box on the Canadian Geographic Education’s “Create Teacher Account” on the website in full and meeting the other contest entry requirements at https://cangeoeducation.ca/wp-login.php?action=register within the contest entry period. Contest entries received by email will not be accepted.
5. One (1) of ten (10) copies of the Indigenous People’s Atlas will be offered to teachers who are recipients of the random draw. Recipients will be notified by the email address provided in their membership submission and will have seven (7) days to respond with their full mailing address to claim the Indigenous People’s Atlas which will be shipped at no cost to the recipient. If no contact is made by email within the seven (7) day deadline, the winner will forfeit the prize.
The retail value of the prize is approximately $100 CAD.
One (1) of ten (10) year-long subscriptions for the Canadian Geographic Magazine will be offered to teachers who are recipients of the random draw. Recipients will be notified by the email address provided in their membership submission and will have seven (7) days to respond with their preferred email address to claim their electronic copy of the one (1) year subscription to the Canadian Geographic Magazine. If no contact is made by email within the seven (7) day deadline, the winner will forfeit the prize. The retail value of the prize is approximately $35 CAD.
The prizes have no cash redemption value. The contest administrators may elect to choose another winner. Winners of the prize package are not eligible to win the ultimate prize packages.
ULTIMATE PRIZE PACKAGE
6. Two (2) Grand Prizes will be awarded by a random draw. The retail value of the prize package is approximately $1,000 CAD. Recipients will be notified by the email address provided in their membership submission and will have seven (7) days to respond with their full mailing address to claim their ultimate prize pack which will be shipped at no cost to the recipient. If no contact is made by email within the seven (7) day deadline, the winner will forfeit the prize.
One (1) ultimate prize package will be offered to an English language only school. One (1) ultimate prize package will be offered to a French language only school. French immersion and core French programs are eligible for the French language school ultimate prize package. French immersion and core French programs and ineligible for the English language only school ultimate prize package.
The prizes have no cash redemption value. The contest administrators may elect to choose another winner. Winners of the Ultimate prize package are not eligible to win other prize packages.
Ultimate Prize packages include:
- A Royal Canadian Geographical Society toque
- A Royal Canadian Geographical Society water bottle
- Classic Canada Vintage Covers, Heritage Occasion Cards
- Anthropocene drink coasters
- Classroom Energy Diet Challenge notebook
- Canadian Geographic canvas map
- Canadian Geographic Education notebook
- Past magazine issues of the Canadian Geographic Magazine
- $500 gift certificate for Staples Business Depot (awarded each)
AWARDING THE PRIZES
7. Teachers chosen by random draw for the Prizes will be contacted by email and given seven (7) days to respond to the email with their complete mailing address. The Prizes are not redeemable for cash or credit. If for any reason the authorizing educator cannot be reached after two attempts, and does not respond within seven (7) business days of being contacted, or is unable to accept the prize is awarded, his/her entry will be declared null and void, and the Contest Administrator reserve the right to select another eligible entry.
The Contest Group Entities will not be held responsible for the loss of prizes due to changes in mailing addresses, errors in completed Entry Forms or any other circumstances leading to an invalid, erroneous or incomplete mailing address or email address.
TO BE DECLARED A WINNER
8. To be declared a winner of a contest prize (a “Winner”), a selected entrant must, in addition to meeting the Contest eligibility criteria and otherwise complying with the official Contest rules, first:
Be reached by email by a representative of the Contest Group Entities and respond within the seven (7) business days immediately following the date of the phone call;
Disqualification: If any one of the above mentioned conditions is not met, the selected entrant will be disqualified and shall not be entitled to receive any prizes. The Contest Administrator and the contest judges reserve the right, in their sole and absolute discretion, to verify the information on the contest entry form of any selected entrant, and if any information if deemed to be false, the Administrator reserves the right to disqualify that entrant and select another eligible entrant as a potential prize winner. The decision of the Contest Administrator/Contest Judges is final and binding, without right of appeal.
GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS
9. Verification of Entries: The validity of any Contest entry is subject to verification by the Contest Administrator. Any incomplete or fraudulent entries will be rejected. Any entrant or other individual who enters or attempts to enter the Contest in a manner which is contrary to these official Contest Rules or which is otherwise disruptive to the proper operation of the Contest or by its nature is unjust to other entrants or potential entrants will be rejected and that entrant or purported entrant will be disqualified. All decisions of the Contest judges, who may be employees or independent contractors of the Contest Group Entities and Contest Administrator, with respect to any and all aspects of the Contest, including without limitation the eligibility or disqualification of entrants or entries, are final and binding without right of appeal.
10. The Odds: The odds of winning depend upon the number of eligible entries received.
11. Inappropriate online behavior will not be tolerated by the administrators. Any individual that is found to be misusing the contest website, social media, or other forms of communication inappropriately may be disqualified at the sole decision of the judges. Administrators decisions are final.
12. This Contest is void where prohibited, and is subject to all applicable Federal, Provincial and Municipal laws.
13. Acceptance of Prizes: All Prizes must be accepted as described in these rules and cannot be transferred to another individual, substituted for another prize or exchanged in whole or in part for cash or credit. If for any reason a selected entrant cannot be reached through the contact information provided, or does not respond to the Contest Group Entities within seven (7) business days of being contacted, or if there is any reason a winner cannot accept the prize as awarded, his/her entry will be declared null and void, and another eligible entrant will be selected from among the remaining eligible entries.
14. Substitution of a Prize: The Contest Group Entities reserves the right, in its sole and absolute discretion, and for any reason whatsoever, to substitute a Prize or any part thereof, with an alternate prize of equivalent value.
15. Other Termination of Contest: The Contest Administrator reserve the right, in their sole and absolute discretion, to modify, cancel, terminate or suspend the Contest, in whole or in part, in the event of any cause or circumstance, including without limitation any virus, computer bug or unauthorized human intervention, unauthorized or automated voting, or any other cause that is beyond the control of the Contest Group Entities / Administrator, that could corrupt or affect the administration, security, impartiality or normal course of the Contest.
16. Release and Exclusion of Liability: By entering or attempting to enter the Contest, each entrant and/or purported entrant agrees: (i) to release, discharge, and forever hold harmless the Contest Group Entities, and their respective officers, directors, employees, shareholders, agents and other representatives (collectively, the “Releasees”) from any and all claims, actions, damages, injuries, demands, manner of actions, causes of action, suits, debts, duties, accounts, bonds, covenants, warranties, indemnities, claims over, contracts and liabilities of whatever nature or kind arising out of, or in connection with the entrant’s participation or attempted participation in the Contest, compliance or non-compliance with these Contest rules and acceptance and use of the Grand Prize any portion thereof.
The Contest Group Entities will not be responsible for lost, incomplete, late or misdirected entries or for any failure of the Contest website during the Contest Period, or for any technical malfunction or other problems with, any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers, access providers, computer equipment or software or for any technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any website, or any combination of the foregoing, and will not be liable for any resulting injury or damage to any person or property arising from, or relating to, that person’s or any other person’s participation or attempted participation in the Contest, or attempted voting in the contest. Any attempt to deliberately damage any website or to undermine the legitimate operation of this Contest is a violation of criminal and civil laws and, should such an attempt be made, the Contest Group Entities reserves the right to seek remedies and damages to the fullest extent permitted by law, including criminal prosecution. (iii) Each winner must sign a release form, giving the Contest Group Entities permission to publish in print, broadcast or online, the winner’s name and likeness without remuneration.
17. Name/Image of Winners: By entering the Contest, the winners agree to abide by the Contest rules and authorize the Contest Group Entities and its advertising and promotional agencies and their respective employees or other representatives to broadcast, publish and otherwise use his or her name, photograph, image, statements regarding the Contest or any prize, place of residence and (or) voice for publicity purposes, without any form of remuneration, including without limitation, on any website operated by or on behalf of the Contest Group Entities.
18. Communication with Entrants: No communication or correspondence will be entered into with any Contest entrants about their specific contest entries, other than with winning entrants selected by the contest judges. Any follow-up communications will be for the purpose of newsletter distribution, e-blast notifications and surveys for the newsletter.
19. Personal Information: The personal information gathered about contest entrants in connection with this Contest will be kept in a secure and confidential database, and will not be rented or sold. Personal information of the contest entrants will be used for the administration of this Contest. If you wish to opt-out after the registration process, please use the “unsubscribe” option after you receive your first newsletter.